April 26, 2012

I'M IN THE ZONE, YOU GUYS

A while ago I was interviewed for ZONE 09 Magazine and today you can find out what I had to say right here (or in any of the multiple free Zone 09 distributors on the streets of Ghent)! Getting interviewed is always nerve-wracking but I like the finalt result. So many thanks to Julie for the lovely interview and Johan for the great photo! (Press 'read more' for the translation).
Another topic I'd like to discuss is the Weekend Blog Awards. I'm sure all my Belgian readers are sick to death about hearing about them by now, but I feel like it wouldn't be right if I didn't mention it on my blog and what it means to me. 
So, as some of you know, I was nominated by Weekend Knack (one of the foremost and high-standing lifestyle publications in Belgium) for a Weekend Blog Award in the Fashion category. My fellow nominees are, each and every single one, good friends of mine so it's very hard to not vote on them all, myself! I don't imagine standing a chance against these amazing individuals who have worked hard and earned their success. But I do want to take a minute and say I'm quite proud of myself to even have been nominated. Not once, but twice actually. The other blog I write for, Ü, was nominated for best Entertainment blog. 

I have to take a minute to process all of this. When I was a kid, I would go to our local library (Kalken 4EVR!) every week. I wasn't the coolest child around, I must admit. But me and my librarian were the tightest of homies! And when they started offering magazines for library-goers to take home, I was so excited. Why? Because then I could read Weekend Knack. Every week I'd come home with another edition, full of the best articles and editorials. I'd read every single column, even the pieces about what the value of a reader's antiques was. One of the Weekend columnists is a professor at my college, and everytime I see him I giggle because in secondary school they'd make us copy his columns in detention. Which seems like a weird punishment, since his articles are a joy to read. 
Why am I telling you all of this? Because imagine my absolute delight, when so many years later, Weekend Knack nominates old me as one of the kingdom's top bloggers. It's still astounding to me that they know who I am, let alone think I'm alright. I should be more confident, I know, but it's still hard to shake that small-town mentality. 

So, if you find the time, I'd love your support. Perhaps we can take this award home? I'd cry ugly tears, of course, so the entertainment would be all yours. All you have to do is go here, and select your favourite for every category. Please, also take time to select www.uhier.com for best Entertainment blog, these people are my family! And at the end, just fill in the contact details form. Et voilà, who knows, you might have made my year. You can vote till the 29th of April.
Thank you!
Translation of the article:
Immi Abraham from Zone 09 is one of the few male bloggers, with Style For Guys.
When did your passion for fashion start?
"My sisters would buy ELLE magazine and I would thumb through it. I was surprised at how much I remembered from it, because I couldn't remember any of my schoolwork! After that, I'd start sending e-mails to fashion companies so they'd send me their catalogues. Ridiculous of course, because I was only 16. Then in 2009 I started my blog."
What's the coolest thing you've done?
"I was in De Standaard Magazine for a photo shoot with all these super expensive clothes. They had to pin them back because they were too big, very funny. This year I went to Paris Fashion Week where I ran into Gareth Pugh. I asked for a picture but he said no. I was heartbroken!"
How big is your wardrobe?
"My clothes are scattered between my place in the city and my village. I have about 20 pairs of shoes, when they're all lined up it seems like much. I go shopping twice a year with my sister, and a few times in between. I just bought a coral pair of pants. That sounds ugly, but is quite nice."
What do you still want to buy?
"A nice bag, purses are a blogger's crack! I'm saving for a nice Marc by Marc Jacobs one."
Which trend do you dislike?
"I don't like mock turtle necks, and a while back I saw a man in Uggs. That's just too awful for words."

No comments: