April 14, 2012

BATTLE OF THE SENSES: SPICEBOMB by V&R

Spicebomb. The name itself is just powerful, and so is the fragrance it envelops. A smell rarely manages to really 'begeister' me, but Viktor & Rolf's latest eau de toilette had me at 'Hello (smell me because I am a sample') a few weeks ago. Spicebomb had hit me. So I nagged everyone and dropped unsubtle hints like bombs, that 'I really liked that new V&R fragrance'. I consider it to be bad luck to buy your own fragrance, you see. It's like buying your own heart-shaped box of chocolates. So when my other half came bearing this gift from France, I was most extremely delighted.
Join me and my new River Island perfecto (that I'm in love with) and discover what Spicebomb is all about.
WHO IS THE FACE OF SPICEBOMB?
Sean O'Pry aka Jesus Christ's Unborn Son. 
WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?
Like a kick-ass glass hand grenade. If I had designed the fragrance, I would have called it GlassGrenade! But that just sounds painful, and not sultry or appealing to anyone but warmongers. The flask is a see-through shade of smokey grey. To spray it, you actually have to remove a pin with the characteristic V&R hot stamp on a bangle attached to it (JUS LYKE A REAL BOMB GET IT). It took me two minutes to figure this out because, you know, I am a cretin. 
WHAT DOES IT SMELL LIKE?
You know how when a fragrance is described, there's all this jibberish about topnotes and basenotes and notes on a scandal and orange blossom lemongrass leather sandalwood essence? But you're just like: "Lol, it smells pretty". I'm not going to try and give you the whole scientific lay-down, because I don't own a white labcoat and without it I am not credible as a perfumer (or 'nez' as the French would say).
I'll start by telling you / reading off a press kit what the scent evolves like:
First it smells like bergamot and grapefruit. Then comes elemi (wtf?) and pink pepper. The grand finale are leather, tobacco and vetiver. 
WHAT DOES IT SMELL LIKE FOR NORMAL PEOPLE?
The fragrance really isn't subtle: it's BAM from the get-go. I only spritz once; I'm a timid fragrance user, I don't want to be a burden on society. To me that's enough for the rest of the day (perhaps a top-up when I go out). The fragrance reminds me of a really early morning, when you go running because you've temporarily lost your mind and are on a health craze. It's sweetish, but not sickeningly so. It's manly but not in a come-into-my-tobacco-parlor-and-let's-discuss-global-politics-with-some-Scotch kind of way. It's modern but not frivolous, so it has 'future classic' potential. Spicebomb is fresh, it interests people. It's a bit of every kind of man, and I love that. I plan on making this little puppy my trademark, I will be the kind of man who has a signature scent from now on! 
Sean O'Pry who?
Ha, I wish! His face is like looking into the surface of the sun in a mirror that's on fire.
All images by me (except the Sean O'Pry one, that's by Oh La La Mag)

No comments: